One of my favourite things in to snuggle up in bed and get a good night’s sleep. I need 8 hours and often have very vivid dreams…they say those who dream and remember their dreams have a higher IQ than those who don’t!
Seriously though Sleep is SO important and can heal so many issues such as hormonal imbalances, it decreases stress and blood pressure levels, prevents diabetes and obesity and prevents advanced aging.
Our brain and body are super active at night. While we sleep is when our body goes into healing mode and it builds back up as it recovers from the day’s stressors. Muscles grow, resources are replenished even melatonin is made healing and fighting cancer.
Our detox organs start to work while we sleep – the liver is strongest from 1-3am. Plus growth hormone kicks in and our brain consolidates memories
Not getting a good night’s sleep can be just as bad as not exercising or eating a bad diet.
Scarily – the Journal of Occupation and Environmental Medicine recently found that women working the night shift had 400% higher risk of cancer.
If you sleep less than 7 hours a night your risk of getting sick triples.
People say, as they get older they need less sleep – my mum only sleeps 3 0r 4 hours a night she says – now that would drive me mad! I know I won’t get like that – I wouldn’t be able to function!
My top Tricks to help you get a good night’s sleep are:
- Make sure you get some fresh air and daylight as well as do some exercise during the day. Don’t exercise too late though as it will keep you alert.
2. No caffeine or other stimulants after midday or 3pm latest – it stays in your system for up to 10 hours. Coffee at night will prevent a deep sleep and no growth hormone will be released. This can then lead to Fibromyalgia.
3. Don’t eat high carb foods before bed – focus on veggies, a little protein, nuts and seeds. Be sure to eat at least 3 or 4 hours before bed ideally to help digestion.
4. If you have anything specific on your mind or you are worrying about or plans for the next few days – write these all down before you get to bed.
5. Personally I take a magnesium supplement an hour before bed to help me relax and have a good nights sleep. Calcium might be beneficial for you too (work with your Holistic Health and Wellness Coach with regards to doses and brands)
6. Have an electronic shutdown ideally 2 hours before bed. The blue light is too stimulating to relax – try reading a book or magazine. While you sleep make sure all devices are on Airplane mode too to avoid all the EMFs.
7. Go to bed at the same time each night. Ideally before midnight – you will notice such deeper sleep and rejuvenating feelings if you can sleep even earlier around 10/10.30pm. Try to wake at the same time each morning too. Routine and habit are good.
8. Avoid drinking any or too much alcohol. You may think this helps you fall asleep but guaranteed you will wake around 4 hours later as your blood sugar drops. Plus the quality of your sleep will be inferior and your body will be dehydrated.
9. Make sure your bedroom is cool and as dark as possible for maximum melatonin production.
10. I use foam ear plugs every night – it helps me really switch off from all sounds and have a long deep sleep – they do pop out during the night and I find myself having to reset them when I go to the toilet – in fact one day I will design some that STAY IN ALL NIGHT! (If there is anyone reading this who can help me with this. …Please get in touch!)
11. Destress as much as you can before bed – maybe do some light yoga, concentrated belly breathing or meditation – anything to help calm the mind and body.
12. Camomile Tea before bed is good.
13. Beernuts before bed will help induce a deep sleep
14. Turkey and cherries have tryptophan which forms the basis of brain chemicals that make people tired.
15. Melatonin is great for sleep apnea. it boosts testosterone and is anti-carcinogenic fighting against breast and brain cancer especially. Melatonin will help you get good deep repairing sleep. Do not use the long term release dose form though. Approx 3mg should work.
That is it! So ………………………………. GOOD NIGHT ,GOD BLESS!